Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Randy's Game - Session 1

Tarsakh – Day 4

Rasha and I have been staying at The Silver Coin. It is a very respectable inn where the captains stay while their ships are docked. There was another inn close to the docks named The Loose Anchor where I was told I could possibly find a ship but it did not seem very respectable. Rasha absolutely forbid staying at The Lucky Eye, although I think the name might have brought us luck. He said that it was a place of ill repute but I never got a chance to see it.

I hope to book passage to Hillsfar so that I can find Corwin. My informant told me that this pirate may have information regarding the scepter. I don’t know how I’m going to get that information. I am so grateful to Rasha for accompanying me on this trip. Without him, I would be forced to interact with these people and they know nothing of courtesy or etiquette. The people speak a language called Demaran, but luckily the vendors in the market speak a more civilized tongue.

We have made contact with a captain! Rasha and I have bought passage aboard a ship named the Gwenshara. Captain Slot seems to be a very courteous and fair man yet, he does not quite understand the proper customs when dealing with a noble daughter. He has graciously allowed me the use of his cabin, but he insists on sleeping in the same room, albeit on the floor, behind a curtain. The first night on board, he tried to offer me wine. I’m afraid he thought I was being rude, but I could not partake in his welcoming gesture. I tried to explain to him that it is forbidden for women to drink alcohol or to be left unattended in the presence of a male who is not a relative, but he didn’t seem to understand.


In fact, I don’t think any of these people understand proper behavior. Most females here seem to demand the same treatment and respect that is normally given to a man. And in many cases, these women actually receive it! There are two women on board the ship, Jinxie and Suny, and they talk without permission and dress in men’s clothing and they drink! I am fascinated with Suny – she seems to be in charge of most of the crew and she is very beautiful and she is an Elf! Jinxie is also very beautiful and she has a way of inspiring even the most cowardly of men to great heights. I would love to talk with them but I am intimidated by them.

The other members of the crew are rather crude and so I don’t speak to them. It’s hard to separate myself from them, though. I do not like staying in the stuffy cabin alone and Rasha is not allowed in there with me. Although, there is also a Halfling and a Gnome on board and I have spoken with the Gnome. His name is Zonk (I wonder if that’s his real name or a nickname) and he is the typical Gnome (I say this based on the fact that he’s exhibited every trait that I’ve read about regarding Gnomes).

Zonk carries a strange mechanical object that launches round pellets from it. It is very loud and rather stinky and it’s not very accurate. He says that he wishes to give the common people a means to defend themselves. I say that his pellet launcher is rather barbaric and if the common people want to defend themselves, they need to employ the services of a wizard or a cleric.

Tarsakh – Day 6


We fought with another ship called The Repost, an Elvin ship! I’m not quite sure why the captain was upset or why we were fighting with them. It was all very exciting and it’s the first time I’ve used my magic in combat. Honestly, I don’t know what I was thinking; I could’ve been seriously hurt. But I wanted to see what was happening and the only way to see was to cross over to the other ship because of the invisibility screen (how neat!). The ship was being run by Orcs for some odd reason.

It turns out that this was a trap set by a woman named Eva. She was fighting the captain (a woman! Fighting a man! And she nearly won!) and some of her Orcs were searching the cargo hold. One of the other passengers, Bowlin, had brought cargo aboard and he was pretty upset when he heard that they had been down there. I don’t think anything is missing, though.

Apparently Eva is the wife of Favian – he’s one of the deckhands, and The Repost used to be his ship. I don’t really care for Favian, he spends most of his time flouncing about and doing little work. My father would have had him executed a long time ago. I don’t understand why Captain Slot allows him to remain on board. I think he and Eva have twins and he wants to introduce Jinxie to his children. Perhaps he wishes for her to become their nanny, although, I don’t think she would be very good at it.

There is also another mage on board! His name is Hamred and I think he is a very powerful mage. He threw a lightning bolt during a skirmish and that is a spell not even my old master could cast. I hope to learn from him during my stay on board, if there is time. We are going to Melvaunt, which is not such a long journey. Hillsfar, however, is across the Moonsea. The captain has not said when we will sail there, but I hope it is soon. I wish to find the scepter and return home.

I have learned some seafaring terminology since I’ve been on board the Gwenshara:

Bow – Front of ship
Port – Left side of the ship
Starboard – Right side of ship
Stern/Aft – Back of ship

No comments: